With breakthrough actions in a few key areas, including energy, transportation, land-use, infrastructure, industry and finance, we can build on the strong momentum towards a fossil-free economy and reach our 2020 turning point. The economics are shifting at scale:
- Renewables are rapidly falling in price and are already undercutting coal in many jurisdictions.
- Technological progress on battery storage is further enhancing the capacity of renewables as well as accelerating an astonishing growth in the market for electric vehicles.
- Business leadership on eradicating commodities that cause deforestation from supply chains is growing quickly in response to customer demand.
- Cities are forging ahead to create new public-private partnerships, financing resource-efficient infrastructure that will serve their communities for years to come.
- The financial community is improving disclosure and corporations are starting to stress test their strategies against the 2-degree threshold.
We have a collective responsibility to raise ambition, scale up our actions and move forward faster together to safeguard the sustainable development goals and protect the inalienable right to life of our and future generations. Let’s not be late.
Convenor, Mission 2020